Sunday, 2 June 2013

Who am I to make me feel so damn unpretty

I'm a 90's kid and I grew up obsessed with acts such as Destiny's Child, Usher, TLC, R Kelly etc. I was listening to the Kiss100 radio segment Kisstory the other day where they play old school R&B hits. I heard TLC's song Unpretty for the first time in a long time. When I was younger and listening to the song I don't think I appreciated the important message it focuses on which is dealing with self-image. On doing some research I found that the song was based on a poem written by band member T-Boz which dealt with the portrayal by the media of unrealistic concepts of beauty. The poem was developed into a song to try and reach the bands young female fan base. The song won Song of the Year at the 42nd Annual Grammy Awards.
The music video shows different clips of girls dealing with feelings of inadequacy and how some girls feel the need to compromise their health and principles for the sake of 'beauty'. One feature band member Chilli whose boyfriend is convincing her to get breast implants. Another shows a young girl obsessing over images of skinny models and suffering from bulimia as a result. Another shows band member Watkins being teased because she is black.

The lyrics of the chorus are:
You can buy your hair if it won't grow / You can fix your nose if he says so / You can buy all the make-up that MAC can make / But if you can't look inside you / Find out who am I, too / Be in a position to make me feel so damn unpretty

I understand the message of the song as learning to love yourself on the outside and inside. The pressure to look a certain way causes many young girls to try all sorts of things to 'fix' bits about themselves and to look 'pretty', but in the end if you are not happy with yourself on the inside, then it won't make a difference; you will still feel unpretty.

Are there any other songs that you think share an important message?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for your message!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...